03 January 2009

Apollo Studio Furniture (Part 6)

Last week the new studio furniture arrived. At least the main desk. Gerrit had to drive two times to transport it all. The colors of the wood look very nice I think with the carpet and the walls. This was the first time that I saw this actually. So far it was a bit of guessing how it would look. Also the black contrasts very nicely again with the carpet. Gerrit started assembling right away after everything was in the studio. I helped carrying the stuff down since it are quite large pieces. Also during construction I was there all the time and lended a helping hand here and there.

Assembling was mostly putting the modules back together, but of course everything has to fit very tightly so it was not an easy job at all. Luckily we had room enough to manouvre around with all the parts. I'm glad I didn't move that much stuff down yet. Otherwise I could have carried it all out again. We did the assembly of the furniture in two full days. Here and there some minor adjustments had to be made. Gerrit sawed some holes for equipment to go in and we found quickly that some were to small by trying to put some 19" equipment in there.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the empty desk. I was so enthusiastic that I started moving equipment while Gerrit was laying the last hand on the furniture. Unfortunately we discovered something really nasty then. All measurements were based on a 2 millimeter thick steel 19'' profile, but Gerrit got 3 millimeter thick aluminum profiles from his supplier. The result being that not all the equipment fits. It is just 2 millimeters of difference, but it is enough to use up the margin you normally have. Gerrit phoned is supplier and we decided that all the profiles will have to be changed. Unfortunately this means that I can't put equipment definitely in place yet. I did start moving though and I started to figure out what has to go where.

I also bought a nice piece of furniture to hold my CD collection. If you think this looks familiar: Yes it is Ikea ;) So not custom build, but it is perfect for what I want. I found a nice spot in the hall between the Studio and the Cinema.

OK now I'm going to move some more stuff. It is quite some work and for every one or two pieces I can carry I have to climb 3 stairs. At this time I can feel every muscle in my body. I have about 50% of the equipment now downstairs. I'll update you soon with more pictures of the main desk with more equipment in it. I hope you enjoy the view as much as I do :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy week Michel. With a great result!

Synth.nl said...

Hi Jan, yes quite busy :) But I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Anonymous said...

I hope it will work out all right with the profiles.
By the way: I reckognize most of the CDs/DVDs in your CD collection, they are in my collection too :-)

Joel said...

Looking great Michel... can't wait to see everything installed and running!