07 November 2009

Yusynth (Part 13)

Today I finished the Yusynth Fixed Filter Bank module. All I had left to to was solder all the PCB wiring to the front panel. As you can see it are quite some wires. I decided to make two separate cable trees with two separate colors to keep the overview. There is still one thing I need to sort out. It seems that the bridechamber front panel is designed for some kind of modification since it has an input potmeter with dry/wet on it and also a bypass switch. Those are not incorporated in the original design by Yves. I will have to look that up.

I decided to first to finish it as Yves has intended so that I can test its functionality. In this picture you can see the other side of the PCB, were you can clearly see the potmeter and switch that are not connected yet. You can also see how far I had to put the two brackets out to be able to mount the PCB on them. On the rear you see two tie raps that actually make sure the PCB doesn't hit the bracket. That could cause a short circuit maybe or at least some unwanted behavior. You can also see that jack is still missing. I haven't received my package from bridechamber yet with the missing nut.

After the wiring was done I tested it again with the noise module. It worked right away. There is no calibrating that needs to be done. I just put all the potmeters on 0 to get none of the input signal to pass and then turned up the potmeters one by one to see if that particular band was passed through. And well they all worked like a charm. Also the odd and even outputs are funny. There you get only half the the bands on the odd and the other half on the even output. I can't think of an application for that yet, but I'm sure it will come in handy sometime. Well another module finished. And at the moment that is all the Yusynth modules I have front panels for now. So I'll have to work on some other project first now untill I get new stuff from Bridechamber.


yusynth said...

Hy Paul
I designed these odd and even outputs with the idea of providing a mono ound with stereo spacialization. For example, take a mellotron string ensemble (or mellotron choir) and feed it to the FFB will all pots set to maximum, now send the odd output to one voice of your stereo mixer console and the even output to a second voice of the stereo mixer. With the pan pots of this two voices set to the neutral position , what you get is a normal (though sligtly coloured) mellotron mono sound. But now turn the pan pot of one voice to 10 o'clock and the second one to 2 o'clock and the sound of the mellotron nicely spreads over the stereo image.
Obviously my example is using a mellotron but is valid for all sources ;-)


Yves, yusynth

yusynth said...

Ooops, I meant Michel not Paul ;-)

Synth.nl said...

Hi Yves,

No problem :) Thank for you comment. Interesting. I didn't think of it this way :) Great idea!

Michel, Synth.nl