08 November 2009

ASM-2 (Part 8)

Last week when I had to stop soldering because it was leaking again, I decided to pick up another job. I took the ASM-2 cabinet down from my modular desk and started to mount the jack connectors to the front panel. There are a lot of them I can tell you. It took me a while before I found an effective method to fasten them and get them straight at the same time. Another thing that puzzled me is that I had 4 stereo jacks and the rest was mono. So I E-mailed Laurie from Elby Designs about this and he got back to me on this.

One turned out to be for the AVRSynth32 actually and I know where to put the other three now. Here you see the whole thing from the back. All the jacks are switchable in order to be able to make the ASM-2 semi-modular. If you look closely at the front panel you can see that besides all the input jacks there is also written where it gets its normalized input from. It took me a while to figure this out by the way. But now I understand it and it makes perfect sense. In the picture you can also see that I can easily take the back of because it is fastened with some magnets.

There are still lots more front panel components left to mount. After the jacks I started sorting and counting the pot meters. And there I also found the 8 missing pot meters for the AVRSynth32. So that problem is solved as well now. Most potmeters are 100K linear, but there are some other ones as well. I'm going to focus first on finding out where they should go. Besides that of course a lot of knobs, and some turn switches, leds, and switches. I'm still struggling a lot with the documentation of the ASM-2, but I'm sure that in time I will understand it all.

After I sorted all the components I decided I did enough mounting of front panel components and looked the PCB's up again from my stack of unfinished electronics. The first thing I had to do was to mount two heat sinks on the power regulators. I got them long time ago from Elby Designs but just didn't mount them yet. After that I started to read again through the documentation to see what power I should apply in able to start testing the PCB's. It turned out that the main PCB needed +24 and -24 Volts. So I put my lab power supply to this and did the famous smoke test. Well no smoke :) So all is set to start testing this PCB. I hope everything works because error seeking will be a pain in the ass on this one :)

No comments: