25 February 2010

ASM-2 (Part 10)

I worked some more on the ASM-2 last week. I did some more work on the front panel components. This time I installed a lot of pot meters. The hardest thing is to figure out what goes where. There is no clear documentation on this only some suggestions from Elby Designs. I ordered a complete front panel component kit back then, but it looks like it isn't complete. I'm definitely some pot meters short and I found a broken one in the package. I also installed two push button switches for manual gating the ADSR's and three rotary switches that had to be limited to 4 positions first. Finally I installed some led holders where I changed the leds in some because I wanted different colors than were in there. I also switched the stereo jacks I had left from the last time.

And here is a picture of the back of the front panel. You can see there are still some components missing. Those are not all the missing pot meters. I still have some left, but not enough. What is also strange is that in the front panel the holes for the potmeters or VCA2 are bigger than on VCA1. I guess that is a design flaw, I can't imagine any reason why there should be different size potmeters there. I will e-mail Elby with these questions before I continue. It is nice to know what you are doing I guess :) And to be honest I'm done with it for now as well. This is not the job I like the most. Because the cabinet is so big it is quite difficult to hold a component on the front and fasten it from the back. I can feel some muscles now that I didn't know I had ;)

So after this I put the ASM-2 cabinet back on top of my modular desk. I still think it looks great there. But for now it is not doing anything but standing there. I hope I can get some life into it soon, but I still have a lot of other projects that I need to finish also that I think are more important first. Next week Gerrit my furniture builder is coming with the second extension to the modular desk by the way. I already let him know that some modifications must be made to the first extension. Most modules don't fit in there unfortunately. Ah well. We'll get that right eventually as well.

No comments: