10 May 2008

Midibox Sid Components

Recently I bought a stack of old Commodore SID chips. I'm still figuring out what to do with them. I got also some components to build a Midibox SID. But when studying this project on the internet I found out that these are Version 1 components and there is already a Version 2 as well with some improvements. But at least I will be able to test the chips with this project. I got it from the guy that I bought the SID chips from. He just didn't finish this project yet. So I'll have to figure out what he already did and what he didn't. As you can see in the picture on the right is a a bunch of wire with a display build in an old Commodore 64 case. Unfortunately no front panel was included. I used to love the old low-tech sound of the Commodore 64, so I guess it will be worth it. But again I need to find time for this project. I'm still very busy. This project is looking tempting though :) Ah well. We'll see. I have a lot of projects running at the same time, but since I took some pictures of this project I wanted to put this post up.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i'll take a sid chip of your hands if you wanna part with one for some $$ or some custom pcb or panel engraving. i'm getting ready to mill out a pcb for my core module soon on my homebrew cnc and was deciding which synth module i want to use. --chron1c / ohiopctech.com

Synth.nl said...

Hi, sorry but I'm not selling them at the moment. I still have plans with them.

Joel said...

Have you seen the HardSID 4U? Might be just the thing for those SID chips :D

http://www.hardsid.com/

Synth.nl said...

Yes I've seen it. Very nice.