07 October 2009

Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Update

Yesterday I upgraded my Sonar installation to the latest version. The update from Sonar 8 to 8.5 is paid but it gives a lot of new stuff. So I really don't get why they didn't call it version 9, but OK. I'm very happy though that they did honor a feature request I did. I have quite some USB connected Midi devices and I ran into a limitation in Sonar of max 64 ports. It looks like they upgraded this because now they all work :) I had about 72 the last time I counted. Most devices nowadays immediately add multiple ports and so you run out quickly. Another neat thing is that now the midi ports are plug and play. You can insert (or switch on) devices without having to restart Sonar again before Sonar sees them. Great work guys :) If you don't know Sonar have a look here -> http://www.cakewalk.com. I use this software as my main midi and audio sequencer. In other words all my music is recorded with this software.

4 comments:

objectman said...

I like to use the VST plug-ins that come with Sonar upgrades in Ableton Live. Do the VSTs work outside of Sonar? I noticed in the last Sonar upgrade, many VSTs were locked to Sonar and would therefore crash other DAWs.

Synth.nl said...

I never heard of that actually.

objectman said...

I never learnt how to make music using Sonar, but love all the toys that come with the program. As long as you stick the VSTs in a VST folder, the other DAWs should open them up ok. I've been trying to find a negative review on Sonar, but haven't really. Not sure if they go around canning negative responses or if they're actually pretty good when it comes to price.

Synth.nl said...

No I think they actually LISTEN to their customers :) They have granted me a lot of feature request already and if I find a bug they actually fix it :)