09 March 2008

Sid chips

I have always been a fan of Commodore computers. And I even repaired them for a couple of years for my day job when I worked at an electronics company. I still have an operational C64 an Amiga 500 and an Amiga 2000 and I still play on them sometimes. One of the things I loved Commodore for was the fact that the sound from these machines were very nice as well. I think nice music is important when you play a game. In the C64 the sound chip was called the SID chip and there are some variations on it that don't all sound the same. The last year more people started to use these old SID sounds in their music again and I thought that was very cool. found some DIY projects on the internet but also ready to go synthesizers you can buy. The only problem they all have is that they don't include the SID chips and they are getting rare. But recently I found a stack of them. There are two different types you see in the picture. 10 older 6581 chips and 4 newer 8580 chips. The 8580 especially produce less noise than the older ones. I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet, but I will build something with them in the future for sure :)

No comments: