15 July 2008

Yusynth (Part 6)

Last week I started working on the random modules. These are actually two modules together on one PCB. One side is a noise generator and the other side is a sample & hold module. They are ideal for making sound effects. On the left you see a picture of the component stack that will make this module. You are getting used to this habit of mine by now I guess. I just love the fact that this little pile of components will later actually do something useful. This time I got the right type of capacitors this time the first time :) So we are making progress..

On the right you see the finished PCB's. As you can see I made two of them. Construction of these was quite easy. These modules do not have that many components so it was not so difficult to find the right holes for the component this time. I did encounter a little problem though. I forgot to drill one hole :) And it is difficult to solder a component without a hole ;) I used a small 12 Volt hand drill with a 1 mm metal drill to make the whole. This went quite smoothly. It will probably not be the last hole I forgot during my drilling sessions at Bird Electronics.

In the picture on the left you see all the modules I have finished now. 4 LFO's, 4 VCO and 2 Random modules. But I still have a lot to go. I think I will start on some filter modules after this. I also started investigating the options I have for front panels. So far I haven't found a good solution yet. I did hear Bride Chamber is going to produce some Yusynth front panels, but I'm not sure if they are going to do all of them. And I would like to have some consistency in the whole modular setup eventually. But there is still time enough to figure this out. OK enough for now. More later.

No comments: